Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Share and Voice: Tips for UMD




OK, not to sound like a computer nerd, but blogging has become an addiction for me this semester. I find myself checking it at least 5 times throughout the day which explains a lot. I've actually paid lot more attention to the environment around me and what I can do to make my surroundings better.

That's why my story leads to me to the gym at UMD. I was working out yesterday and realized how full the garbage was. It was filled to the brim with used paper towels from individuals who cleaned their machines. After doing some research, I found out that an average of 30,000 people's cards are swiped each month at UMD's gym. What? That's a crazy amount, not to mention how many rolls of paper towels are used each month. There must be a simpler way to clean the machines without using this large amount of paper towels.

I think that UMD should have people bring their own towels to clean the machines after each use. It would save the school a lot of money and resources. What do you think? Please get back to me and let me know what you think about my proposal. Even little changes make a big difference!

8 comments:

Kaileigh's Nature Log said...

Hey great topic!!!
I never thought about it. Seriously after every machine use, someone has to pull a bunch of paper towels to clean it, but 30,000 people a MONTH! How many rolls of paper is that? I think bringing your own towel would be effective! So many people would complain about that but it would be so nice to do that!
Great thought!

Kathy @ Choh's Changing Environment said...

CHRISTEN!! That last comment was from ME KATHY! ahaha Kaileigh left her blog on my computer so it was still logged in as her!
But yeah, that last comment was from me!! hahah

Unknown said...

That would be a great idea but how many people do you think would actually bring their own towels?! Even if UMD supplied small rags that were washed on a daily/weekly basis this problem could be greatly reduced! :)

Dr. V. said...

Great thinking! Who do you think you could bring this concern to?

Heather Belknap said...

Christen:
This idea that you had is really great! I wonder if even UMD supplied the towels, and then washed them daily... I just think of the tanning bed I go to (bad I know...) and they supply the towels and then wash them. You'd think that after the one time cost, it would also be cheaper in the long run.

Heather

*Shar* said...

Hey Christen! This is a very interesting point. I never thought about all that paper towel the gym goes through. I'm very forgetful so I pretty sure I wouldn't remember a towel every time but if the school could provide some towels that might save all that waste. Interesting find, keep up the good work=)

Kaileigh's Nature Log said...

haha..when I first got on here and saw I commented I was soo confused! funny mix up! I think this is a great idea..It could really help out the environment, because that is a TON of paper towels being used everyday!! NOT GOOD! Good thinking outside the box, because I never stop to think about stuff like that..I really need to!!

Steve @ Steve's Enviro-Blog said...

Heya Christen. I'm wondering if everyone would do it or not. The only reason why I dont know if people would or not is because that means they need to carry around a towel with them everywhere, while I wouldn't have a problem with it, a lot of people might. But otherwise, I too check the Blogs about 5 times a day....addicted to say the least. Have a good one

Steve